Hybrid Attendance Policy for 20-21 School Year
Student Attendance Policy
North Eugene High School
2020-21 School Year
Daily attendance is the cornerstone for student success in all school settings. Students must attend school regularly and on time in order to reap the benefits of their educational experience. North Eugene High School in accordance with Eugene School District 4J has enacted the following policy regarding attendance for the 2020-21 school year:
All students are expected to attend synchronous (live) and asynchronous (on demand) classes on a daily basis.
Students enrolled in the Hybrid learning model are expected to attend their in-person classes on their assigned cohort days (see 2020-21 Tri 3 Information tab for more info on cohorts)
Parents should report student absences to the North Eugene attendance voicemail line at 541-790-4459 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, students are encouraged to communicate with their teachers regarding absences.
Parents will be notified when a student misses an in-person class via an autodialer call and email message.
Students will only be given an unexcused absence if they do not attend their live or in-person classes or do not engage with Canvas in a 24 hour period:
- Example: an Online-Only student that does attend a live class on Zoom during 1st period on Monday but does not submit an assignment during their on demand time will not be marked absent.
- Example: a Hybrid student does not attend their in-person classes for an entire A day, but does turn in their assignments posted on Canvas at 11:20pm the same day will be given an absence for their in-person classes and parents will receive an autodailer message but after 24 hours the student will not be marked absent.
- Example: a Hybrid student that does not attend their in-person classes for an entire A day, and does not turn in any assignments, or contact the teacher, or attend office hours for the entire 24 hour period will be marked absent and given an Unexcused Hybrid Absence.
- Example: a Hybrid student that chooses to stay home and attend online classes for the day will be given an absence for their in-person classes and will receive an autodailer message but after 24 hours the student will not be marked absent.
- Example: any student that does interact with a teacher during office hours but does not submit any work or attend any Zoom classes will not be marked absent.
- Daily student attendance will be updated only for classes on the day in which their classes occur.
- North Eugene High School will update attendance for classes on the following class day within a 24 hour period from 8:00am to 7:59am and by the following Monday for any classes occurring prior to a weekend or holiday.
- Students entered as ‘Absent’ will receive a notification from the school the following week.
Possible Absence Codes and Reasons:
ABS: Absent – U (unexcused absences) given for students that do not engage with Canvas in a 24 hour period. This code is accompanied by a Monday evening autodialer call and email message from NEHS.
ABH: Absent Hybrid – U (unexcused absence) given for Hybrid students that do not attend in-person classes and do not engage with Canvas in a 24 hour period. This code is accompanied by an autodialer call and email message WITHIN the same school day. NEHS will rectify any ABH given to a student that DOES engage with Canvas over the remaining 24 hour period. All reported absences will be logged and rectified the next school day.
ASL: Absent Synchronous Learning (rectified attendance code) given for Hybrid students who did not attend their in-person classes but did engage with Canvas within a 24 hour period. This code is used for contact tracing purposes on any given school day and will be converted from any initial ABH code given.
Report student absences to the North Eugene attendance voicemail line at
541-790-4459 or email email@example.com. In addition, students are encouraged to communicate with their teachers regarding absences
DISTRICT 4J ATTENDANCE POLICY
It is important to call the school, 541-790-4459, when your student is unable to attend for an excused absence (Please see the NEHS Attendance Policy document below for a definition of excused absences). If you do not have a phone, please send a note with your child when they return to school.
In order to excuse an absence, please notify the Attendance Office at the number above within 2 school days of your child returning to classes.
If your student is absent five consecutive school days, or has irregular attendance, a note from a doctor or nurse practitioner (available at NEHS Health Clinic) may be required.
North Eugene strongly enforces the following Oregon laws regarding attendance:
Truancy – Truancy is defined as a student being absent from a class without a legitimate excuse. Chronic absences or tardies (excused or unexcused) may result in a truancy referral to Lane ESD, an investigation, and a citation of $190.00 or more, and a possible court appearance.
Any absences that happened more than 2 days ago, or that exceed 5 consecutive days must be excused through an administrator. You can excuse these absences by:
Please Note: Student absences may be excused for the following reasons: student illness, family emergency, or a doctor/dentist visit. A doctor/dentist visit requires a note to be turned in to the attendance office from the doctor or their clinic stating the date/times of the appointment.
10 Day Rule Withdrawal Rule OAR 581-23-006 (4b) states “A student must be withdrawn from the active roll on the day following the tenth consecutive full school day of absence but may be retained on the inactive roll at the district’s option. A student must be present for at least one-half day in order to restart the count of consecutive days’ absence.” Regardless of the reason and whether or not the student is returning, if a student is absent 10 or more consecutive days, the student MUST be withdrawn from school. Reasons include but are not limited to vacation, illness, or other medical reasons.