|NIHS Home||About IHS||Academics||CAS||Foreign Exchange|
NIHS is a program which offers students a rich academic experience. Students experience a rigorous interdisciplinary course of study which includes exploration of the history and cultures of nations, world languages, global science and mathematics.
This college preparatory program attracts students who value global understanding, international communication, cultural differences, and who seek agreater understanding of current global issues.
The NIHS curriculum is includes coursework in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program which is recognized as the finest pre-collegiate program. Rich in traditions and activities, NIHS engages students in discovery, reflection, and service.
Students in NIHS are members of a vibrant learning community which values the contribution of every member. Teachers know the hopes and aspirations of our students and work together to support every student’s success.
NIHS enables students to:
- Be active and informed citizens of the United States, skilled at responding creatively to an increasinglyinterdependent world.
- Gain an understanding of the ways that computer technology works, its range of uses,and its impact on the social, political, and ethical issues in our country and in the global community.
- Recognize and understand the cultural differences and similarities of people in the world and within our country.
- Appreciate the impact world affairs has on individuals.
- Be aware of the interdependence of countries and cultures in a global society.
- Understand the nature of ecological and technological interdependence.
- Communicate in an international, multilingual community across linguistic and cultural boundaries.
- Develop a global perspective on the relationship between people and natural resources.
An Interdisciplinary study of global cultures, beliefs, history, literary and artistic expression, language, information technology, science and mathematics.
NIHS students and staff value respect, responsibility, and integrity in a safe and supportive environment. As global citizens, we value cultural differences, teamwork, imagination, and the discovery of a wider world. NIHS values the development of strong relationships and a culturally connected curriculum that is student centered and provides relevancy for all students.
IB Learner Profile
NIHS encourages students to develop the qualities described in the
IB Learner Profile. Learners strive to be:
With a spirit of inquiry, compassion, and service, the global citizens of North International High School (NIHS) immerse themselves in an integrated curriculum: embracing diversity; acting responsibly and with integrity; and working together to explore the world.
North International High School, through the interdisciplinary study of the history and cultures of nations, international languages, information technology, and global science and mathematics topics, prepares students for responsible living in an international and diverse community.
Students who graduate from NIHS will have developed the global awareness necessary for international communication, understanding, and responsible citizenship.
A Long-Standing Tradition
North International High School (NIHS) is part of a long-standing tradition in Eugene, dating to 1985, when the first district program in international studies began. As part of that tradition, NIHS was established in the fall of 2006, beginning with grades 9 and 10 and expanding to grade 11 in 2007 and grade 12 in 2008.
NIHS is the only full day integrated, international studies program in the 4J School District. The program is college preparatory and attracts students who value global understanding and communication, cultural differences, and awareness about global environmental and technology issues.